Author: Wonder Guchu
AirNam parks Frankfurt flights for 30 days
Air Namibia has announced the temporary suspension of the Windhoek – Frankfurt –Windhoek route effective today, Saturday 14 March 2020 for a period of 30 days. The Namibian National Airline said it is complying with the directive of the Namibian…
COVID-19 stops the NAMAs
MTC has announced the cancellation of the NAMA awards ceremony as the health ministry confirmed the presence of the deadly coronavirus in the country on Saturday. The event was scheduled to take place on the 27th of March 2020 and…
Geingob cancels independence gig, upholds his inauguration
President Hage Geingob said Saturday that the planned 30th independence celebration that had been set for 21 March will not go on but his inauguration will be held at State House. Announcing a raft of stringent measures after health minister…
Health ministry blunders on COVID-19 announcement
Health minister Dr Kalumbi Shangula Saturday morning said a couple from Spain had tested positive for COVID-19, but the Embassy of Spain in Namibia has denied that the two are their citizens. The case of the couple is Namibia’s first…
SPYL express concerns on state of COVID-19 preparedness
The Swapo Party Youth League (SPYL) has expressed serious concerns over the health ministry’s state of preparedness for the coronavirus, right in the heels of minister Kalumbi Shangula confirming the presence of two cases in Namibia. Here are some of…
NUST suspends all international travel
The Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) has, with immediate effect, suspended all international travel by its staff and students as the coronavirus touches down in Namibia. Read the full statement below: In line with the NUST procedures and…
No Covid19 in Namibia – Dr Shangula
Health Minister Dr Kalumbi Shangula said there are no Covid19 cases in Namibia. There were 9 suspected cases of which 8 turned out negative whereas 1 needs to arrive from Ondjokwe to Namibia Institute of Pathology (NIP). Two suspected cases…
Nam tourism industry dealing with mass hyteria
Tourism director Dr Sem Shikongo has said that Namibia and the tourism industry are dealing with fear and hysteria emanating from western countries in relation to the coronavirus. Shikongo said presently there is no cross-sectorial and inter-ministerial coordination to discuss…
Don’t panic, Haufiku advises as SA reports first coronavirus case
Former health minister Bernard Haufiku has urged for calm as South Africa reports its first case of the deadly coronavirus. Below is his full comment: SA is better equipped. They are particularly equipped with diagnostic tools to detect the virus early…
First coronavirus case detected in SA
Three days after the Western Cape health department said it’s not a matter of “if, but “when” the new coronavirus, will be detected in South Africa, the country reported the first-ever case in the sub-Saharan region. A statement put out…
