More articles in this category
Top Stories

Controversially “deposed” president of the National Union of Namibian Workers (NUNW) Ismael Kasuto has exclusively told The Villager t...

Some members of the Ondonga community want the police officers who harassed them during a peaceful meeting at Okakodhi in Oshikoto prosecuted. ...

Swapo 2017: What Have They Done This is the second part in a series where The Villager will analyse what each of 11 Swapo Party top four candid...

Adv. Vekuii Rukoro has said that the German government is trying to avoid the charges lodged against it for the Ovaherero and Nama genocide during...

Swapo 2017 What Have They Done Series This is the first part in a series where The Villager will analyse what each of 11 Swapo Party top fou...

Other Articles from The Villager

Mentally challenged man kills minors

Mon, 8 December 2014 05:22
by Chris-Paul

A mentally challenged man from Eengonyo Village in the Ohangwena region, Sam Lungameni, appeared in Eenhana Magistrate court last week on a murder charge after fatally beating two kids with sticks and an axe handle.
The attack on the kids happened after the suspect was left in the care of the deceased and two other kids when the elders had gone to the field to collect traditional spinach.
Ohangwena Regional Crime Investigation Coordinator, Deputy Commissioner said  ,  Abner  Agas, Lungameni (25), who is an uncle to the two deceased aged 18 and 19 months, asked the two older kids aged three and five to leave the house before pouncing.
“The man was left alone with a total of four kids after the elders had gone to get traditional spinach in the field. He then asked the two older kids who were aged three and five years to leave the house,” said Commissioner Agas.
After killing the kids with sticks and an axe handle, Commissioner Agas said, Lungameni walked into the charge office at Eenhana Police Station and handed himself over.
According to police reports filed on the incident, Lungameni informed the officers on duty that he was instructed by a ghostly voice in his head to kill two people in his homestead.  
The police headed to the house after Lungameni had given them directions to the house, and then found the two bodies after following a short trail of blood.
After his arrest, , Lungameni was taken to the hospital for his medication which he said he had not taken since 15 August.
“The family knew he had stopped taking his medication and had threatened to kill people yet nobody bothered to take action until this incitement. It could have been avoided,” said Commissioner Agas.
Lungameni remains in police custody and the murder case CR 39/11/14 was remanded to 18 December.