More articles in this category
Top Stories

Public enterprises minister Leone Jooste wants the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Funds board, and the Chief Executive Officer dismissed. ...

Consumer activist and writer Milton Shaanika Louw has decried high consumer lending levels as unsustainable warning that this may see lower intere...

Namibia Breweries Limited (NBL) Managing Director, Wessie van der Westhuizen has said the company’s flagship home grown barley project is we...

Twenty-eight pedestrians were fatally injured on the Western Bypass road between the periods of 2014 to 2016, and this ?gure excludes fatalities i...

Power Africa plans to triple its goal of 10 000 MW and 20 million connections in few Sub-Saharan African countries to 30 000 MW and 60 million con...

Despite an improved rebound in commodity prices, Uranium remains subdued, and Economic Association of Namibia (EAN) Director Klaus Schade has said...

Other Articles from The Villager

Anthrax scare in Katima

Mon, 29 July 2013 01:11
by andreas kathindi
Business

The Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry  issued a warning to the general public and farming communities about a confirmed case of anthrax that in an elephant in the vicinity of Masikili and Nakabolelwa in the Caprivi region.
The ministry’s permanent secretary, Joseph Iita says that members of the village had already helped themselves to the meat of the carcass when government officials arrived at the scene.
“Although anthrax is an easily preventable disease, through annual vaccinations, it can be extremely dangerous affecting both humans and animals. The ministry therefore warns the public not to touch, open or eat the meat from any animal carcass that dies on its own or from unknown causes as handling such meat or eating meat from such animals puts the people at serious risk of contracting anthrax,” Iita states.
He further says any animal that dies rapidly on its own should not be touched or eaten but should instead be reported to the nearest State Veterinan or DVS office.
“Everyone in the vicinity of Masikili and Nakabolelwa who has had contact with the elephant in question is requested to go to the nearest clinic and get appropriate advice,” Iita advises.
Anthrax can transmit to humans by bacteria entering through a cut in the skin or by consuming infected meat. This infects the intestines, skin and breathing. Inhaling anthrax is usually fatal.
In cattle, sheep and goats anthrax is mostly characterised by sudden beginning of staggering, difficulty with breathing, trembling, convulsions, collapsing and death may occur with short-lived evidence of illness. An anthrax carcass usually bloats and decomposes rapidly.