Hango Selma Nelago, 84, collapsed and died in a cuca shop last week after drinking tombo at Onangalo Village in Tsandi Constituency.
The incident happened in the late afternoon hours (date) in a location known as Rundu in that village.
According to her elder brother, Ephraim Amashili, Nelago had been drinking with her friends in a cuca shop owned by a certain Nuuyoma Shikulo in the location.
“She started drinking with her friends but 20 minutes later, she collapsed and died right there in the bar,” said Amashili.
He said the family suspects the tombo must have been poisoned.
“It’s only poison that could have done that and the poison must have been really strong to have knocked her dead on the spot like that. That is what we, the family, think,” said Amashili. Amashili, a captain in the Namibian Defense Force (NDF) stationed in Windhoek, vows to get to the bottom of the situation.
“I have just arrived from Windhoek now and what I have given you is the little report that I have gathered from the family thus far. I promise you, I will launch a probe until I get who was responsible for this,” vowed Amashili.
Nampol public relation officer, Warrant Officer Shikongo confirmed the incident saying it is still too early to determine whether or not the tombo had been poisoned.
An inquest number has been opened.
“She’s in Okahao mortuary. We are, at the moment, waiting for postmortem results from the Otjiwarongo Hospital. So before the result comes, I can’t really tell you if the tombo was contaminated or not,” said Warrant Shikongo.
The warrant officer said the death seemed to have been sparked by the tombo although the deceased’s age might have played a role too.
Nelago is survived by three children; two boys and a daughter.