More articles in this category
Top Stories

The RCC board chairperson Fritz Jacobs has told The Villager that he welcomes the Cabinet Committee on Overall Policy and Priorities’ (CCOPP...

The Ovaherero paramount chief, Vekuii Rukoro has proposed that the recently discovered Ovaherero and Nama human remains should be kept in the Unit...

The Oshakati Town Council in partnership with Oshakati Premier Electric (OPE) has launched a pilot phase of national support tariff mechanism with...

Analysts have voiced their concern over the latest move to place the Roads Contractor Company (RCC) under administrative management saying that wh...

  Michael Gaweseb, a NamWater director, has written to the board urging them to discipline the Chief Executive Officer Dr Vaino Shivute ov...

Namibia Equity Brokers (NEB) analyst Ngoni Bopoto has said GRN is well on course in its efforts to bring down debt to manageable levels judging by...

Other Articles from The Villager

Mentally ill man commits suicide

by Chris-Paul

joshua Auwanga Nangolo, 31, committed suicide in a mahangu field at Oshifo Village near Ruacana Constituency in Omusati Region, a day after coming out of a mental hospital last week.
According to his mother, Nakwenye Tobias, Nangolo had been suffering from a mental health condition for a number of years; something she said started after he suffered a bout of malaria earlier in his life.
“He started by getting sick of malaria, the type that affects your mental stability. Somehow, the mental problem dragged on for years,” she said, adding that Nangolo had to drop out of high school due to the problem.
Over the years, he has been in and out of hospital and was re-admitted for the same mental problem recently.
Nangolo, Tobias said, came out of the hospital and spent the whole day by himself. She said the last time she saw him was when he was leaving his room in that morning only to find him later that day dead in a mahangu field.
“He left his room that morning and we did not see him for the rest of the day,” said Tobias.   She related that the family made the shocking discovery later that afternoon when they found him hanging from a tree in a mahangu field; he had used a wire to end his life.  
“I was too devastated to really get involved after that. The police later came to fetch his body. He has had a difficult life since his first malaria attack,” Tobias mourned.
She said that no one in the family knows the reason why he killed himself making the matter difficult to comprehend, as he never spoke much, to anyone in or out of the family.
“I have always feared this would happen sooner or later but it could have been easier to deal with it if there was some kind of explanation to this unfortunate situation. We are all left in the dark as to why he decided to end his life,” she said tearfully.