You have news tips, feel free to contact us via email

Half a year’s wait for woman raped by three men

By: Kelvin Chiringa

A Namibian woman whose identity cannot be disclosed for ethical reasons will have to wait for almost half a year until her alleged perpetrators who are in the meantime out of custody can be put to trial.

The three men, Jan Gemeng, Tjaava Ebson and Godlieb Repanka Katuuo are said to have pounced on her at Otjurukune Reserve in Gobabis, beating her until she was weak to resist and took turns to rape her.

They are out on warning.

A warning is granted if an accused person wishes not to be imprisoned pending the finalisation of a trial, he or she may apply to the court to be released on warning or on warning with some conditions attached or on bail (with or without conditions).

They have appeared twice this week for plea and commencement of trial but this has failed to happen due to a lawyer that pulled out from the case.

A new lawyer, Kaurivi Tjingairi has come in to represent Kattou but has indicated that he needs more time to study the docket.

This has led the court to postpone the whole trial to September the 30th and October the 4th for plea and trial.

The matter will thereafter be adjourned to between the 21st and 25th of October this year.

Five witnesses including a sergeant were also warned to be in attendance on the pinned dates while the suspects were let go on warning.

According to the prosecution, the victim was affected by intoxicating liquor or a drug which mentally incapacitated her before the three sexually violated her.

The incident began after the victim had showed up at a bar called Marina’s Place in the company of her boyfriend and other two friends.

As she later retired for home, it is alleged that the three men pounced on her and attarked her boyfriend who fled the scene.

 After all three perpetrators had raped the complainant they pulled her around and left her in the bushes, the prosecution also alleges.

Kelvin Chiringa

Related Posts

Read Also ... x