PHOTO: Erongo Police
An unlicenced Karibib man, who killed one and injured two others when the car he was driving without the owner’s permission crashed handed himself over to the police on Saturday.
The incident, Erongo police said in a report, happened on Friday in the Usab location.
According to a report compiled by Erongo police, Kondjeni Mwatukange, 22, took a Toyota Hilux bakkie while the owner was sleeping.
The report said Mwatukange drove the car along Kasinga street where Masen Awaseb, 28, and three others were fixing a vehicle.
Since he was driving recklessly, Mwatukange lost control of the vehicle and crashed onto the car the four men were working on.
Awaseb died on the spot while two others were injured, and the third man escaped with no injuries.
The report further said that Mwatukange also destroyed Moses Nghililewanga’s destroying property, but no one was hurt.
Awaseb is said to have fled the scene and went to tell the owner of the vehicle he had crashed what had happened. He then disappeared into the veld where he spent the night.
The police, however, said that Mwatukange handed himself over at the Karibib Police Station Saturday morning.
Warrant officer Ileni Shapumba
Warrant officer Ileni Shapumba told Eagle FM Saturday that Mwatukange does not have a driving licence.
He also said that the vehicle used belongs to a company and the suspect is a colleague to the unnamed driver.
Warrant Officer Shapumba said Mwatukange, who is expected in court on Monday, faces:
(1) Reckless and/or Negligent Driving,
(2) Culpable Homicide,
(3) Failed to ascertain the nature and extent of injuries sustained by any person after an accident,
(4) Failed to render assistance to an injured person after an accident.
(5) Failed to ascertain the nature and extent of damages sustained after an accident
(6) Fled the Scene of an accident,
(7) Drove the motor vehicle without Driver’s License
(8) Used a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent.