Environment minister Pohamba Shifeta has said zero tourist arrivals for the next three to four months is expected and the situation is likely to persist throughout 2020.
Shifeta told the Covid-19 Conference Centre on Tuesday that conservancies create N$60 million in income and an additional N$65 million paid in salaries.
The non-arrival of tourists would mean that more than 700 community guards and rangers and 300 support staff and 1 107 hired staff jobs are in jeopardy.
Namibia’s 30-year gains and effort in building conservancies is under threat, he said.
Shifeta also said that N$16 million has been donated towards Namibia’s conservancies to cover the gaps created by the Covid-19 pandemic.
He added that the money has been donated by the Environment Investment Fund, Nedbank Namibia and the UNDP.
Deputy health minister, Ester Muinjangue, has confirmed that Namibia still does not have new cases in the past 29 days, save for 8 recoveries and 8 active cases in the stable condition which continue to be monitored.
So far, 1 163 samples have been tested so far while contact tracing continues.
A total of 236 contacts have been identified with 19 active cases being monitored.
The past 24 hours have seen 10 people entering quarantine facilities bringing the total to 843 of which 538 people have been discharged.
Muinjangue said 305 people are in quarantine facilities across the country.
Namibia has entered stage two lockdown which has called for mandatory wearing of masks.
But a challenge of procuring masks has arisen at the health ministry.
In the meantime, the deputy appealed to Namibians with masks to wear them and maintaining social distances, washing hands and avoiding huge crowds.