Health minister Dr Kalumbi Shangula Saturday morning said a couple from Spain had tested positive for COVID-19, but the Embassy of Spain in Namibia has denied that the two are their citizens.
The case of the couple is Namibia’s first reported case and it has shaken the nation resulting in President Hage Geingob cancelling the planned 30th Independence anniversary as well putting in place several measures.
Dr Shangula’s initial message indicated that the couple whose results were known Friday around 09h00 had travelled from Doha on a Qatar flight.
However, in a statement issued later on Saturday, the Embassy of Spain in Namibia said although they are in solidarity with Namibia, they wanted to clarify some information about the couple’s nationalities.
“They are Romanian nationals who travelled through Madrid and Doha to arrive in Namibia,” the statement said.
According to the statement, the embassy said they had been advising their citizens to avoid non-essential travels.