President Hage Geingob said Saturday that the planned 30th independence celebration that had been set for 21 March will not go on but his inauguration will be held at State House.
Announcing a raft of stringent measures after health minister Dr Kalumbi Shanguila’s revelation of Namibia’s first two COVID-19 cases, Geingob said the money meant for independence celebrations would be channelled toward COVID-19.
Below are some of the measures Geingob announced:
- The Namibian Government is suspending inbound and outbound travel to and from Qatar, Ethiopia and Germany with immediate effect for a period of 30 days.
- All big gatherings are suspended for a period of 30 days.
- Lockdown of Windhoek Gymnasium with immediate effect for a period of two weeks
- Suspension of all travels by Namibian government officials, including State-Owned Enterprises
The Interministerial-Task Force whose members have joined me here will communicate additional Measures.