The Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) has, with immediate effect, suspended all international travel by its staff and students as the coronavirus touches down in Namibia.
Read the full statement below:
In line with the NUST procedures and in support of the statement made by H.E President Hage Geingob on the confirmation of two cases of COVID -19 in Namibia, the NUST Management is working towards putting various measures in place to ensure the safety of the campus community. Should it be deemed necessary to temporarily cancel face-to-face lectures and opt for online teaching and learning, where possible, this will be communicated by the end of the day tomorrow, Sunday 15 March 2020. The University is also considering to reschedule the mid-term break to next week to allow academics to smoothly transition to an online learning environment.
The final decisions will be made at an urgent meeting between management and key staff, students and the SRC tomorrow afternoon. Staff and students are encouraged to keep a close eye on the University’s social media platforms for further updates, as this is the quickest way to communicate (Facebook – @NUSTNamibia; Twitter – @NUST Namibia; Instagram – official.nust.na). The University will also communicate via SMS.
The top priority remains the health and safety of all members of the University community. Furthermore, in line with the Head of State’s announcement, the NUST Management, with immediate effect, suspends all travels outside the country. All staff and students that are currently out of the country on work and study arrangements are requested to notify the University and self-quarantine upon their return, until further notice.
Additionally, staff and students are encouraged to stay away from large gatherings and to continue following best practices and guidelines prepared by the Ministry of Health and Social Services, Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization (WHO), for protection against the COVID-19 virus.
According to these Institutes, the COVID-19 is an infectious condition that can be spread directly or indirectly from one person to another. It is therefore IMPORTANT that you;
• Wash your hands regularly with plenty of soap and water for 10-20 seconds.
• Keep a greater than 60% alcohol-based sanitiser ready for times when soap and water are not available.
• Do not touch your eyes, mouth or nose with unclean hands.
• Keep your distance of at least 1 meter from anyone coughing or sneezing.
• Follow no-touch greeting for no germs contracted. Prefer slight bowing or hand waving to a handshake.
• Do not sneeze or cough into your hands. Use a tissue and throw it away immediately, or sneeze in the inner side of your elbow.
• Do not travel or visit crowded places if you are sick.
• If you wish to wear a mask, a 3 -layer disposable surgical mask is best recommended.
• Wear a mask if you are sick and if you are taking care of someone with the symptoms.
• If you feel unwell, seek medical attention.
• If you have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, stay indoors. Call healthcare professionals and follow their advice.
• Do not share just any forwarded message. Only share authentic information coming through medical experts.
NUST is working in consultation with the Ministry of Higher Education, Training and Innovation to ensure minimal disruptions to the Institution’s operations. In case of an emergency please dial 0800 100 100 to report any Corona Virus related incidences to the Ministry of Health and Social Services, and to also notify the University on the following number 081 404 0473.