The Namibia Football Association (NFA) Secretary General, Barry Rukoro this week refused to disclose the amount made to a German lawyer, Reinhard Stuenkel who represented the association at the recent

 

The Namibia Football Association (NFA) Secretary General, Barry Rukoro this week refused to disclose the amount made to a German lawyer, Reinhard Stuenkel who represented the association at the recently held Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) in Switzerland.
Namibia lost her appeal to the Confederation of African Football’s (CAF’s) Appeal Board.
The court rejected Namibia`s FA protest regarding the ineligibility of footballer, Herve Zengue on the grounds that the protest letter failed to comply with Article 37.1 of the CAF Regulations.
When contacted by The Villager, Rukoro snapped saying the payment was not for public knowledge but an internal matter.
“This is rubbish. Why do you want to know? We have an agreement with the German lawyer not to disclose the amount paid, which by the way, was below the normal professional rate. You journalist are so unprofessional,” said Rukoro.
Rukoro, instead of answering questions posed to him, turned into a defensive mode and made personal attacks on the reporter.
He added, however, “The payment is none of your business and let me tell you, my cell phone number is more popular than yours and I have not received any single call from any member of the community asking how much we paid Stuenkel for his services.”
Rukoro, however, said the association spent N$280 000 on the case, including travel and accommodation.
He further said the cost for the case was shared between CAF and NFA with the local football authority forked out N$160 000. As part of CAS’ decision, the NFA will pay CAF more than N$40 000.
The Secretary-General claimed during a media conference Wednesday last week that all payments came from the association’s coffers.
When asked where NFA got the money from since they are known to be having financial woes, the SG kept mum.
 Although the SG blatantly refused to disclose the amount paid, it will be made public during its future annual general assembly or congress. Efforts to get comments from the acclaimed German sport lawyer proved futile.
Questioned on how Brave Warriors would have afforded their participation in the Cup of African Nations (CAN) 2012 competition billed for later this month if they had won the case, Rukoro  reiterated that Government - as their official sponsor - would have footed the bill for Brave Warriors’ involvement at the sporting spectacle.
During the current financial year, the NFA received N$7.2m as its annual grant by Government through the Directorate of Sport in the Ministry of Youth, National Service, Sports and Culture.
Meanwhile, NFA’s Spokesperson, Dan Kamati told The Villager that the Brave Warriors could not have had an automatic placing in Group B replacing Burkina Faso in CAN 2012, had Namibia won the case because selections are made according to the national teams’ rankings.
He added that perhaps CAF did not want to restart the process from the beginning and the Association’s spokesperson tried vaguely to justify the decision by CAF’s Appeal Board.