More articles in this category
Top Stories

Latest indications from the Namibia Statistics Agency (NSA) dating back from the 2017 financial year are that the number of Namibians who are bank...

Chairperson for the Namibia Airports Company (NAC) Rodgers Kauta has officially resigned from his duties, permanent secretary in the ministry of w...

The defence council presiding over a case of rape and trafficking had a field day yesterday in the Windhoek High Court when the doctor who did the...

Namibian charcoal exports are expected to increase to 200 000 tons by 2020 from 160 000 tons that are exported annually. There are currently a...

The battle of who should rise to the vacant throne of the Shambyu Traditional Authority played out in the Windhoek High Court before Judge Angula ...

In a daring movie-style criminal act by suspected youths over the weekend, a Katutura-based ambulance was stolen and taken for a joy-ride before b...

Other Articles from The Villager

Anthrax scare in Katima

Mon, 29 July 2013 01:11
by andreas kathindi
Business

The Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry  issued a warning to the general public and farming communities about a confirmed case of anthrax that in an elephant in the vicinity of Masikili and Nakabolelwa in the Caprivi region.
The ministry’s permanent secretary, Joseph Iita says that members of the village had already helped themselves to the meat of the carcass when government officials arrived at the scene.
“Although anthrax is an easily preventable disease, through annual vaccinations, it can be extremely dangerous affecting both humans and animals. The ministry therefore warns the public not to touch, open or eat the meat from any animal carcass that dies on its own or from unknown causes as handling such meat or eating meat from such animals puts the people at serious risk of contracting anthrax,” Iita states.
He further says any animal that dies rapidly on its own should not be touched or eaten but should instead be reported to the nearest State Veterinan or DVS office.
“Everyone in the vicinity of Masikili and Nakabolelwa who has had contact with the elephant in question is requested to go to the nearest clinic and get appropriate advice,” Iita advises.
Anthrax can transmit to humans by bacteria entering through a cut in the skin or by consuming infected meat. This infects the intestines, skin and breathing. Inhaling anthrax is usually fatal.
In cattle, sheep and goats anthrax is mostly characterised by sudden beginning of staggering, difficulty with breathing, trembling, convulsions, collapsing and death may occur with short-lived evidence of illness. An anthrax carcass usually bloats and decomposes rapidly.