No food aid for the working class
Prime Minister Hage Geingob yesterday said those who are working will not benefit from the Government drought relief programme to be rolled out following President Hifikepunye Pohamba’s declaration of a state of emergency Friday last week.
Pohamba declared the state of emergency because of the drought that is gripping the country following poor rains this season.
So far, official statistics say that more than 300 000 people are in dire need of food while about 4000 herd of cattle have been lost.
Although Government says that Omusati, Kavango, Ohangwena, and Oshikoto are the most affected, the state of emergency covers the whole country.
“The food is not for the working class who can afford to feed themselves. It is for the vulnerable and is meant for preventing famine,” Geingob said adding that in distributing this food aid, the people in charge have to do an ethical job without letting any corruption get into the program.
He further said that the Government will be ‘channelled towards the most affected by the drought and are currently hunger caused by the drought’.
He also said the fact that the programme will help to put a distinction of the people at risk and in dire need of assistance from people who will surely try to sneak into the programme.
Last week, Geingob met regional governors, chairpersons and chief regional officers who are expected to carry out the roll out.
The assistance will consist of food and medical supply.