Accused UNAM killer/rapist wants N$3 000 bail


An ex-University of Namibia security guard accused of raping and murdering a 32-year old woman before dumping her body near the university has come out to beg the court for a N$3 000 bail.

It is the state’s case that Dinyango Tuhemwe raped Theresia Pietersen at his house on the 9th of April 2018, soon after coming from a gambling house and murdered her.


The deceased’s bag and cell phone were found with the accused after he had hidden them for fear that they would be discovered by his girlfriend.

The accused has flatly denied the murder charge although he admitted that he was the last person to be seen with the deceased.

He shook off the rape accusations and submitted that Pietersen agreed to have sex with him on the night her life was ended. 

The ex-security guard was arrested at Maerua Mall soon after the incident.

He has been recently fighting tooth and nail in his bail application to prove before to Magistrate Vanessa Stanley that he was not a flight risk should he be granted freedom during his trial.


His lawyer, Milton Engelbrecht is confident his client will land bail and has submitted to the court that his admission of having been previously convicted showed that he was honest.

He also argued that the state had no other evidence to pin Tuhemwe to the charges other than the fact that he was the last person to be seen with the deceased.


Engelbrecht said Tuhemwe will be living at Erf 188 in Katutura’s Wanaheda and will stick to conditions of having to report to the Wanaheda police twice a week.

Although investigations into the case were supposed to have been concluded on the 4th of September, Engelbrecht said the police have not come out to provide the court with information as to what is outstanding other than lab results. 

He insisted that Tuhemwe has no capacity to temper with the said lab results should he be set free.

Meanwhile, the state wants the accused to remain locked up and has submitted that he is a man of no fixed abode, adding that the said Erf 188 was not his house, but his brother’s.

 Chief Inspector Hendrick Olivier took to the witness stand yesterday and told the court that Tuhemwe had given them an address in the north, thus confirming fears that since he is no longer employed in Windhoek and has serious charges before him, he might run away.


Prosecutor Rowan van Wyk submitted that the charges before him are of a serious nature and the alleged murder of Pietersen received a public outcry.

As such, letting him go on bail would not be in the interest of both justice and the public. 

The court has in the meantime not pronounced itself on the accused’s fate.