More articles in this category
Top Stories

A 34-year-old Namibian male accused of defrauding Standard Bank of N$4 million during the time when he worked in its Trust Account Division in Win...

As the country continues to reel from an orgy of murders and violence against women, two men from Mariental appeared separately in the Windhoek Hi...

Namibian Police (NamPol) services were rated poorly by the Office of the Prime Minister, chief of police Inspector General Sebastian Ndeitunga sai...

In another latest development in the controversial “Shoprite house”, an Oshakati based worker got fired yesterday by her superiors aft...

The murder case of Cathy Gatonje is still playing out in court as her family patiently wait to see justice done and yesterday, the suspected murde...

A total of 1 771 San community members have been registered and received national documents during the Mass San Community mobile registration in O...

Other Articles from The Villager

Man drinks battery acid after fatally stabbing girlfriend

by Staff Writer

A Windhoek murder suspect is currently receiving medical treatment after a suicide attempt in which he drank battery acid.

The male suspect is said to have tried to kill himself after he allegedly stabbed and killed his girlfriend in Windhoek’s Okuryangava settlement on Monday afternoon.

NamPol Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi confirmed the incident.

"I can confirm the incident and suspect was arrested after running away. He attempted to commit suicide with battery acid but was taken to the hospital for observation. If he is well, he will be taken into custody and I cannot disclose his name yet because he still needs to appear in court," said the deputy commissioner.

The news of the murder was spread through a WhatsApp audio message composed in Oshiwambo in which an unidentified person alerted the public to be on the look-out for anyone running through the valley area, and that he might be suicidal as he had just killed his girlfriend.

In the audio, the information said that the victim’s throat had been slit open and that her assailant had run off and most likely to commit suicide.

The suspect was caught less than an hour after the audio recording was circulated.