More articles in this category
Top Stories

 Incensed previously disadvantaged farmers have said they are angry with the finance minister, Calle Schlettwein, for showing false support i...

Illegal squatters currently set up in the Khorixas' Donkerhoek informal settlment are allegedly selling off plots illegally to job seekers loo...

Environment minister Pohamba Shifeta has with immediate effect set aside the granting of an environment clearance certificate to Namibia Marine Ph...

Namibian Police chief, Sebastian Ndeitunga has said that the crime in Oshikoto region is manageable after it recorded 3 809 criminal case bet...

The Meat Corporation of Namibia (Meatco) is to reinstate 15 % Value Added Tax (VAT) on all cattle transactions at the Windhoek abattoir until an i...

The tale tell signs are beginning to take a grip and it seems the honeymoon is after all over for the Namibian dollar as the Rand lost its gains t...

Other Articles from The Villager

Paulus Moses stopped in his tracks despite a good start

19/02/2018
by Kelvin Chiringa
Sports

WBO Africa Lightweight champion, Paulus “The Hitman” Moses, was stopped in his tracks by the Mexican Raymundo “Sugar” Beltran in his quest to land the vacant WBO Lightweight world title last Friday.

After giving a sterling performance in the main event of the Top Rank ESPN card at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nevada, Moses lost out to Beltran who won by scores of 117-111 and 116-112. 

Moses, who is also a former world titlist, unleashed his wrath in the very beginning which brought to the face of international television audience, the intensity of an action packed fight.

Sadly, he failed to follow up on his gains in the final minutes.

The fighter began slacking in the 11th and 12th rounds which gave Raymundo the needed momentum to make his mark. 

That was not before Beltran took heavy shots from the experienced Moses who kept his head off his heavy fists and came out with two bruised and bleeding eyes.

Moses’ punches were above board and laden with so much energy that could possibly have worn him out in the final seconds, analysts have said.

Having started on a good slate only to lose the fight has not landed well with boxing fans back home, many of whom took to social media to express their displeasure accusing the Americans for having rigged the fight.

Sentiment is high that Moses, who is meeting with journalists at MTC Head office today, will seek a rematch. 

The win will likely see Beltran landing an American citizenship.

"I have no words. I gave everything I had. It's very emotional. I worked so hard for this. I thank God for the world title. I can get my green card now," Beltran told journalists after the fight. 

Had the fight gone in the way of the Namibian, he would have won two world titles and going down in history as the only oldest pugilist (39 years) to scoop a 135-pound world title.

This record will in the meantime continue being held by the four-weight world champion Mexican professional boxer, Juan Manuel Marquez who landed the belt at 37 years of age.