More articles in this category
Top Stories

Omaheke Swapo Party delegates to the congress who were dragged before the High Court in an attempt to prevent them from attending congress emerged...

The exoneration of the National Planning Commission permanent secretary, Leevi Hungamo, from the fuel storage saga torched a storm in parliament t...

Rally for Democracy and Progress’ Mike Kavekotora has called for the immediate firing of the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund...

Finance minister Calle Schlettwein has stood his ground and shot back at criticism that he has made wild economic projections that are not realist...

The Namibia Statistics Agency has announced that Namibia's population now stands at an estimated 2, 324, 388 for 2016. This was announced a...

The Swapo Party has informed all delegates to the elective congress this Thursday that it will not allow weapons and electronic recording devices ...

Other Articles from The Villager

We will not lose against Zimbabwe – Mannetti

12/10/2017
by Rodney Pienaar
Sports

 Brave warriors coach Ricardo Mannetti has dismissed chances of the Brave Warriors losing to Zimbabwe in the 4th edition of the Hage Geingob cup scheduled for the 11th of November in Windhoek.  

 “I have recently won a friendly match against Botswana. Anybody that has witnessed the game will tell you that the boys are on a good pace and we just need to polish some things here and there. As far as the Dr. Hage Geingob cup is concerned, it is going nowhere at all. It will stay at home,” he said.

He added that Zimbabwe is a very competitive team and will definitely run for the money making the upcoming show down quite a tough one. 

Mannetti said the first 11 that played in the weekend’s friendly will more likely kick start this most anticipated cup next month although some of the players picked up injuries.

“Our team’s starting line-up of last weekend might do the thing but I can not tell you for sure if that will be the final selection. We will have to wait and see. All I can promise you is a good game of football and I would like every Namibian from all corners of the country to come see the team play and support the team,” he said. 

He added that although there is no league in the country so far, it can not be used as an excuse not to try and win as the Brave Warriors have shown outstanding performances against rival league teams from other countries.

Also speaking at the official launch of the cup, the Deputy Minister of Sports Agnes Tjongarero reiterated that there is need to invest so much money as she believes that the Brave Warriors won’t let any other country come and take the cup.  

“Ricardo it is your duty to make sure that this cup will never ever go to another country and I will hold you responsible for that if it happens. I want you to promise me that this will never happen. I believe in the Brave Warriors and it is for you to make sure that I will never ever doubt the Brave Warriors,” she said.

She added, “Go tell the players that Tjongarero has said that we can not allow the Dr. Hage Geingob cup in some other land. This is the Fourth edition of the cup and I can recall that we were not so lucky the last time and the cup landed somewhere else.”

The main sponsors of the Dr. Hage Geingob Cup 4th addition are Tafel Lager, Air Namibia, Huawei and this will be an officially recognized FIFA international tournament.

The remaining names of the teams that will take part in the cup will be announced in due course.