More articles in this category
Top Stories

The campaigning has ceased, the votes have been cast and the people have spoken. On behalf of the rank and file of the SWAPO Party, I would lik...

ANC has a new president - Cyril Ramaphosa - who has replaced Jacob Zuma for the next five years. Ramaphosa was elected yesterday at the conclus...

Namcor managing director Immanuel Mulunga proposed the name of the Malaysian company, Hyrax Oil, that won the N$2,2 million tender to supply lubri...

The fallout between health minister Bernard Haufiku and the former ministry's permanent secretary Andreas Mwoombola is like a messy 'divor...

  My comrades youth. A very good morning, we all are fine and well . Thank you for appreciating our Leader Dr Geingob . Boldly to say Gei...

  1. For a long time I have kept my silence on this matter due to the respect that I hold for the Hon. Minister. Recent events have brought to...

Other Articles from The Villager

Discounts boosts NWR stopovers

Mon, 27 June 2016 17:12
by Donald Matthys
Tourism

Accommodation at resorts owned by the Namibia Wildlife Resorts (NWR) fared positive due to discount prices offered by these resorts until December 31 as all six of the establishments within the Etosha National Park received an average of 60% total occupancy in comparison to just 40% in 2014 for the same period in a given year. The increase in visits  can largely be attributed to visits made by the domestic tourism market. Mufaro Nensongano, Manager of Communications at NWR, said they have been proactive in marketing their products to their source and potential markets with the aim of further enticing those that have not attended their accommodation facilities.
“When we run competitions our main aim is to encourage our domestic market to visit our establishment as some of them have not visited any of them as yet. Over the past few years the discounts have aided in changing this behaviour to ensure that more and more people see the beauty that Namibia has to offer. We are pleased to note that our occupancy has done overall well at our different establishments over the past three years due to Namibia being ranked favourably amongst tourists. As a country we are seen as a boutique destination which has allowed us to have favourable reviews when tourists visit us,” Nensongano said.
The latest Domestic Tourism Survey indicates that for the country, out of the total number of domestic trips, 2.5 million were day trips while 3.74 million were overnight trips. Leisure and holiday travel accounted for almost 14%, around 280 000 of all day trips, and combined with shopping, which is also a form of leisure travel at 17%, it generated a total of 31% - almost 630 000 of all day trips. According to the survey the average spending per person on a day trip in Namibia was N$993, with the highest spenders being business travellers at N$1 598.
However, the majority of the visitors who book into NWR accommodation are from Germany in Europe and South Africa in Africa.
“The tourism industry is certainly doing well and this is supported by the recent revelations that we are tremendously contributing to the gross domestic product of Namibia. In addition to this, the number of jobs that are created through tourism are encouraging as this supports the President’s call of creating prosperity for all. We certainly have a lot to offer to international and domestic tourists, therefore Namibia is your oyster,” Nensongano said.
NWR, a state-owned entity, manages camping sites rest camps and lodges across Namibia mostly in the National Parks. Namibia Wildlife Resorts’ camps include five places to stay in Etosha National Park - Okaukuejo Camp Halali Camp Namutoni Camp Luxury Eco Onkoshi Camp and Dolomite Camp, two places to stay in Sesreim (gateway to the Namib Desert and Sossusvlei) Sesreim Camp site and eco Luxury Sossus Dune Lodge. At the Fish River Canyon NWR offers the Ai Ais hot springs camp and Hobas Camping while along the Skeleton Coast there is Terrace Bay and Torra Bay camps, also around Namibia.